Hair for Hope (HfH) is the only head-shaving event in Singapore that serves to raise funds and awareness of childhood cancer. Every shaven head represents an understanding by an individual of the ordeals that a child with cancer is subjected to. HfH also provides opportunity to garner support from the public in the form of monetary pledging. By volunteering to shave, the shavees become CCF’s ambassadors in spreading childhood cancer messages to their family, friends and colleagues when garnering monetary support from them.
Through this symbolic gesture, we aim to:
- Create awareness of childhood cancer in Singapore
- Show children with cancer and their families that they are not alone in their fight against cancer
- Tell children with cancer that it is OK to be bald
- Raise funds to help children with cancer and their families
- Build a community of support for children with cancer and their families
Hair for Hope first started in 2003 with 9 volunteers. From the initial $2,000 raised, Hair for Hope 2019 raised more than $4.7 million with 5,456 participants making a BALD statement. Event related expenses amounted to 5.5% of the amount raised. Donations from the event will go towards funding the free critical programmes and services by CCF for children with cancer and their families and children impacted by cancer.
Website: www.hairforhope.org.sg | Campaign period: May to June